About Alex Soto

The Reality of Developer’s Life

In this post I am going to try to illustrate in a funny way the reality of developer’s life.

This post is a translation of another post written in Spanish.

When you upload something to production environment:

When you find a problem solution without searching in Google:

When you close your IDE without saving the code:

When you try to fix a bug at 3AM:

When your regular expression returns what you expect it:

When my boss reported me that the module I have been working will never be used:

When I show to my boss that I have fixed a bug:

When I upload a code without tests and it works as expected:

When marketing folks show to developers what they have sold:

The first time you apply a CSS to a web page:

When the sysadmin gives you root access:

When you run your script the first time after several hours working on it:

When you go on weekend and everyone else are at office trying to fix all issues:

When your boss finds someone to fix a critical bug:

When you receive an extra paid if project ends before deadline:

When something that had worked on Friday and on Monday did not work:

When you develop without specifications:

When boss tells me that ‘tests are for those who doesn’t know how to code’:

Have you ever life one of these experiences? I hope so, if not maybe you are not a real developer

PD: Original Source In Spanish
Reference: The Reality of Developer’s Life from our JCG partner Alex Soto at the One Jar To Rule Them All blog.

More Fun:

Software Architecture

This guide will introduce you to the world of Software Architecture!

This 162 page guide will cover topics within the field of software architecture including: software architecture as a solution balancing the concerns of different stakeholders, quality assurance, methods to describe and evaluate architectures, the influence of architecture on reuse, and the life cycle of a system and its architecture. This guide concludes with a comparison between the professions of software architect and software engineer.

109 Responses to "The Reality of Developer’s Life"

1. Awesome!!!! those are exact expressions that come to my mind….

2. Thoang Tran says:

funny !

3. Really funny! Loved the ‘run your script the first time after several hours working on it’

4. Ryo Saeba says:

Anyone know where the scene from “css and html” comes from?

5. olanmills says:

Haha, that actually made me laugh. Those gifs really worked well lol.

6. Nightmare says:

rotfl, that’s a fantastic summary of a developer life.

7. Animated GIFS are so horrible. But this could have been a funny post.

8. blupp says:

this is reality! thanks for this compilation!

9. So this is how it’s gonna look when my whole life flashes before me!

10. Michal Lev says:

lol!!! I mostly relate to:

When you upload something to production environment:
    When you close your IDE without saving the code:
    When I show to my boss that I have fixed a bug:
    When I upload a code without tests and it works as expected:
    The first time you apply a CSS to a web page:
    When the sysadmin gives you root access:
    When you run your script the first time after several hours working on it:
    ********And the most hilarious “been-there” of them all:***********
    When you update a database script and you note that you have deleted whole database:

11. srini vasan says:

When I show to my boss that I have fixed a bug it’s really super. the whole page is very very super.

12. Zenwalker says:

Hahaha really good. Thanks made my day.

13. pooja phopre says:

after a long time i have laughed this much.
    great work!
    I m working as a tester. Now I m also having a doubt that my project manager was thinking that i cant work in developer projects and hence he has put me in testing………………………lolz

14. Abhijeet Patil says:

simply awesome…LOL

five + 1 =

Java Code Geeks and all content copyright © 2010-2014, Exelixis Media Ltd | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

20,709 insiders are already enjoying weekly updates and complimentary whitepapers! Join them now to gain exclusive access to the latest news in the Java world, as well as insights about Android, Scala, Groovy and other related technologies.

As an extra bonus, by joining you will get our brand new e-books, published by Java Code Geeks and their JCG partners for your reading pleasure! Enter your info and stay on top of things,

• Fresh trends