Definition of Software Development Success
You can’t build a huge perfect thing all in one go.
You can’t work in a team on huge things and expect them to connect together after long delays.
Software development is part construction, part curation, and part discovery. We come up with a good idea, try something of it out, refine the good bits, expand the essentials and continue until some definition of finished.
All of the above boils down to a simple set of principles:
- Make small, simple things that you believe you need
- Integrate them with the whole ALL THE TIME
- Define increments measured in minutes (or small numbers of hours)
- Aim for the software changes on your own computer to be stable in increments of seconds (or small numbers of minutes)
- Continuously review and refine the shortest route to the goal
Remember to Keep Your Eyes on The Prize.