This is the easiest and shortest tip so far. If you want to do any of the following things:
- learn how to use CSS
- make your custom controls look like the standard controls
- reuse an SVG path graphic used by a standard control (e.g. scrollbar arrows)
- figure out how to navigate the structure of the standard controls
- determine the color used for a specific item
- consistently modify several standard controls
then simply take a look at the default CSS stylesheet that ships with JavaFX. The file is called modena.css and can be found in the jfxrt.jar file in this location: com/sun/javafx/scene/control/skin/modena/.