- Screen size is small and limited
- Processing power of the device is limited
- Interface is touch enabled
- Connectivity is not constant (read patchy) and speed/data is limited (no unlimited data plans)
- User audience demography not known
Now, the Apps needed to be designed keeping in mind the constraints, which meant that the Apps are
- Focused on providing only one functionality
- Have simple and intuitive messages/steps in the absence of any help/guides
- Providing simple interfaces (cater to worldwide audience)
- Having uncluttered screens as real estate is limited
- Using UI Controls that are big and usable (touch interface)
- Having intuitive workflows
- Engaging to stand apart among the millions of other Apps
The whole idea behind the Consumerization of IT is not just measures like BYOD but to bring the missing intuitiveness, usability and efficiency into the enterprise applications.
So, what does Consumerization means for the Architect?
When designing and architecting enterprise business applications, following considerations need to be kept in mind
- Connected users means the applications need to be available 24 X 7 ( Always On, Always Available), 24 X 7 availability requires application solution(s) to be elastic – expand or shrink based on the load
- Intuitiveness and Usability have to be high on the agenda when designing the interface and workflows
- Solution needs offer APIs for additional applications to be build
- Integration with systems and other applications (including SaaS) need to be simple, straight forward and well documented
- User experience is the key to successful business application (it was always the key) but need to be (re)designed for the connected & mobile devices
- Product evaluation(s) will now include SaaS applications that can provide the functionality
- Saas adoption will increase leading to newer challenges in integration, data security and privacy measures
- Applications need to be designed/tested keeping in mind various devices/OS combinations (days of designing apps that worked on IE6 only are over)
The impact of consumerization on the Enterprise IT will be felt in the years to comes, BYOD is just the harbinger of things to come.
Reference: Consumerization of IT – what it means for the Architect from our JCG partner Munish K Gupta at the Tech Spot blog.