I was attempting to Serialize a Map<Enum, List<Model>>. All was well and I was able to retrieve both HTML and JSON representations, but when I tested retrieving the XML representation, JAXB complained that it cannot handle a Map instance in the root although Jackson was totally cool about it. As usual, Googling revealed that JAXB expected a Container class at its root which I didn’t want to create. I didn’t want to give up either. So, I tried my luck using XStreamMarshaller. This time GAE complained that XStream used a restricted API. WTH?
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to check if XStreamMarshaller would work as expected when used outside of GAE. So, I created a Tomcat context file “myapp.xml” with the following definition and carefully placed it inside TOMCAT_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost. I could have just started Tomcat from TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.bat to check if it works, but being an IDEA addict, I created a Run Configuration for the IDEA Tomcat plugin and started the server from inside IDEA. But the app refused to even be discovered, let alone be deployed. After a few frustrated attempts, I tried starting Tomcat directly outside IDEA. Thankfully the app got deployed successfully and to my surprise, the XStreamMarshaller skillfully streamed out the serialized XML. Problem Solved!
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <Context docBase="PATH_TO_MY_APP" reloadable="true" path="/myapp"> </Context>
But, why didn’t the app get deployed when I started Tomcat from inside IDEA? After all, I have linked IDEA to my local Tomcat installation and the script it executes is clearly in my TOMCAT_HOME/bin folder. Then, why why why in the world does the app refuse to be discovered? The solution came in the form of CATALINA_BASE. It seems that IDEA copies the contents of TOMCAT_HOME/conf folder into its HOME folder with some name like Unnamed_MyApp and sets this folder to be the CATALINA_BASE. That explains why “myapp.xml” is so totally ignored by Tomcat. Then, I navigated to “Tomcat Run Configuration -> Startup/Connection -> Environment Variables” and added CATALINA_BASE as an environment variable and pointed it to your local TOMCAT_HOME folder. After this configuration change IDEA started Tomcat as expected and my app was both discovered and deployed. Another Problem Solved!
But the real problem – JAXB complaining about Map and GAE rejecting XStreamMarshaller as restricted – is yet to be solved. Maybe I should try one of the CastorMarshaller, XmlBeansMarshaller or JibxMarshaller.
Reference: Tomcat & IntelliJ – Deploy war files outside webapps folder from our JCG partner Ganeshji Marwaha at the Ganesh blog.
Java Platform, Enterprise Edition is a widely used platform for enterprise server programming in the Java programming language.
This book covers exciting recipes on securing, tuning and extending enterprise applications using a Java EE 6 implementation.The book starts with the essential changes in Java EE 6. Then they will dive into the implementation of some of the new features of the JPA 2.0 specification, and look at implementing auditing for relational data stores.They will then look into how they can enable security for their software system using Java EE built-in features as well as using the well-known Spring Security framework. They will then look at recipes on testing various Java EE technologies including JPA, EJB, JSF, and Web services.Next they will explore various ways to extend a Java EE environment with the use of additional dynamic languages as well as frameworks.At the end of the book, they will cover managing enterprise application deployment and configuration, and recipes that will help you debug problems and enhance the performance of your applications.