* Spring 3.1 is GA Today – Adds Java 7 Support, Environment Abstraction and Cache Abstraction:Following the announcement for the general availability of Spring 3.1, this article provides some information on the new releases and the major new features for Spring 3.1, which include Java 7 support, environment abstraction and cache abstraction.
* Estimating Java Object Sizes with Instrumentation: This tutorial describes how to use the Instrumentation interface in order to get an estimate of the size of a particular object via its getObjectSize(Object) method.
* More Android Games that Play Nice:A post with some tips on Android game development, like how to handle the press of the HOME and BACK buttons and how to get control of the audio in the standard and proper way. Also check out some Android OpenGL ES tutorials.
* Making the Mobile Web Native with PhoneGap: This article presents PhoneGap for developing cross-platform mobile applications for iOS and Android. PhoneGap is an HTML5 app platform that allows you to author native applications with web technologies and get access to APIs and app stores.
* The Top Java Memory Problems – Part 2: A must read article for every Java developer, identifies the top Java memory problems including high memory usage, using the HTTP Session as Cache, using caches in a wrong way, creating large temporary objects, loading the same class in memory multiple times etc. Also see How to get C like performance in Java and Low GC in Java: Use primitives instead of wrappers.
* Top Ten Reasons Why Large Companies Fail To Keep Their Best Talent: Nice article listing the top reasons that companies fail to keep their best people around. Reasons include bureaucracy, boring projects to work with, no discussion about career development, lack of open-mindedness etc.
* Capture Stalls in Your Java Application With jHiccup: This article presents jHiccup, a performance monitoring tool that measures any hiccups (pauses or stalls). Addtionally it can identify whether the cause of a stall is in your application code or the underlying runtime platform.
* Spring Web and SmartGWT integration: A nice tutorial that shows how to integrate Spring Web and SmartGWT with JSON over HTTP. Also check out Getting Started with SmartGWT for awesome GWT interfaces and Spring MVC Development – Quick Tutorial.
* Top 5 enhancements of Spring MVC 3.1: This article presents some of the new features of Spring MVC 3.1, including flash attributes support (used to store attributes between requests ), support for JSR-303 validation groups, support for @Valid on @RequestBody method arguments, support for PUT request with form encoded data and finally Java based configuration.
* Android 101: How to monetize your Android application: An article discussing in short how to monetize an Android application and provides some tips on Paid apps, In-app purchase and using Ads. Also check out our “Android Full Application Tutorial” series to learn how to build an Android application.
That’s all for this week. Stay tuned for more, here at Java Code Geeks.