Ilias Tsagklis

About Ilias Tsagklis

Ilias Tsagklis is a senior software engineer working in the telecom domain. He is an applications developer in a wide variety of applications/services. Ilias is co-founder and Executive Editor at Java Code Geeks.

Funny Source Code Comments

I recently stumbled upon an awesome Stack Overflow thread, entitled “What is the best comment in source code you have ever encountered?”.

As you might have guessed, it is a collection of funny source code comments, provided by developers all over the world. Take a look at it, it could definitely make your day.

I am reposting here my personal favorites from that long long collection:

// sometimes I believe compiler ignores all my comments

Exception up = new Exception(“Something is really wrong.”);
throw up; //ha ha

//When I wrote this, only God and I understood what I was doing
//Now, God only knows

// I dedicate all this code, all my work, to my wife, Darlene, who will
// have to support me and our three children and the dog once it gets
// released into the public.

// drunk, fix later

// Magic. Do not touch.

return 1; # returns 1

double penetration; // ouch

/////////////////////////////////////// this is a well commented line

// I am not sure if we need this, but too scared to delete.

// I am not responsible of this code.
// They made me write it, against my will.

//Dear future me. Please forgive me.
//I can’t even begin to express how sorry I am.

options.BatchSize = 300; //Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!

// I have to find a better job

// hack for ie browser (assuming that ie is a browser)

} catch (PartInitException pie) {
// Mmm… pie
}

// John! If you’ll svn remove this once more,
// I’ll shut you, for God’s sake!
// That piece of code is not “something strange”!
// That is THE AUTH VALIDATION.

try {

}
catch (SQLException ex) {
// Basically, without saying too much, you’re screwed. Royally and totally.
}
catch(Exception ex)
{
//If you thought you were screwed before, boy have I news for you!!!
}

// Catching exceptions is for communists

// If you’re reading this, that means you have been put in charge of my previous project.
// I am so, so sorry for you. God speed.

// if i ever see this again i’m going to start bringing guns to work

// The magnitude of this hack compares favorably with that of the national debt.

//ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

// If this code works, it was written by Paul. If not, I don’t know who wrote it

//You are not expected to understand this

/**
* If you don’t understand this code, you should be flipping burgers instead.

‘NO COMMENT

//Abandon all hope yea who enter beyond this point

//Mr. Compiler, please do not read this.

catch (Ex as Exception)
{
// oh crap, we should do something.
}

// TODO make this work

// If you delete the credits, I will fucking kill you.

// This is crap code but it’s 3 a.m. and I need to get this working.

// For the sins I am about to commit, may James Gosling forgive me

// Houston, we have a problem

// If I from the future read this I’ll back in time and kill myself.

Pure awesomeness… Don’t forget to share your own favorites in the comments!

Related Articles :

Software Architecture

This guide will introduce you to the world of Software Architecture!

This 162 page guide will cover topics within the field of software architecture including: software architecture as a solution balancing the concerns of different stakeholders, quality assurance, methods to describe and evaluate architectures, the influence of architecture on reuse, and the life cycle of a system and its architecture. This guide concludes with a comparison between the professions of software architect and software engineer.

62 Responses to "Funny Source Code Comments"

1. Nice post!! had a good time reading this. thanks for sharing….

2. Krishna says:

I’m never laughed over a computer related stuff like i did a minute by reading all the source code comments… Just too good!!!

3. Luke says:

Just came across this double comment while going through some painfully horrendous legacy code:

‘=======================================================================================================================================
    ‘ We have events, so things get good here! <- what do you mean things get "good" here? Nothing is remotely good in this page ever!
    '=======================================================================================================================================

4. Young says:

That’s funny.HAHA

5. Stuart says:

/*We don’t care about performance, only accuracy because
    * we know IT can just throw a few more servers up up their asses.
    * We also don’t care if you can’t comprehend this, because you are
    * probably an offshore developer with poor English. */

• Alex says:

Hey Stuart,

I assume that’s a SQL Code comment block, right? I dislike SQL programmers that don’t optimize their code, they are just bad programmers… I wanted to get that off my chest.

6. Robert says:

A friend of mine worked in the Houston office of Amoco (a large oil company), which later merged with PB. The following comments appeared next to an unknown error code…

// Shut her down, Clancy. She’s pumping mud.

7. Neil Modi says:

\\ Awesomest post ever i Read
    \\ i have read this all lots time but never thought such type of blog post
    \\ incredibly collected.

8. David says:

One I recently came across:

// Initiate the matrix – not quite as sinister as it sounds

9. bomco3 says:

Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas any more

10. Arun prasad says:

################Good One############ Few More below…!

// If this comment is removed the program will blow up

try {

} finally { // should never happen

}

Catch (Exception e) {
    //who cares?
    }

11. Nicki says:

– There is a bug here that I did not have the time to fix right now

12. Dev says:

LOLz :) … This reminds me of similar funny comments we used to add in the log files.

13. Ranjith says:

I use to put these…
    //Enter the new Dragon !!

14. maelorin says:

#DO NOT SHIP WITH THIS COMMENT INTACT!!

#Fix what follows, I beg of you…

//This does nothing useful, but the rest of this code fails to compile without it
    {
    return;
    }
    //Don’t bother wasting time figuring out why.

* What is this code supposed to even do?

##
    ## NO ONE WILL NOTICE, THEY SAID …
    ## WHAT’S THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN, THEY SAID …
    ## RUN THIS AND SEE FOR YOURSELF, I SAID.
    ## AND, LO, YOU DID
    ##

// insert comment here
    function f(x,e);
    {
    printf “insert function to do stuff here”;
    }

** Boss man be mad when he read this code

** Only joking. Boss man never read code

15. Mik says:

Haha, i had to put a few aside :D you never know when you’ll need to use them.
    Also, here are a few more :

#define TRUE FALSE //Happy debugging suckers

and a favorite of mine :

// Dear maintainer:
    // Once you are done trying to ‘optimize’ this routine,
    // and have realized what a terrible mistake that was,
    // please increment the following counter as a warning
    // to the next guy:
    // total_hours_wasted_here = 42

16. This reminds me: One time when I was trying to locate a source of performance issues, I finally found the right method, which contained:

// TODO Can cause performance problems, fix in the future